Sunday, November 4, 2012

Creamy Pumpkin Tomato Bisque Soup

Bella woke me up this Sunday morning at 5:00 and even though I attempted (that's the operative word here, attempted) to coax her to stay in bed, she insisted upon getting up. So I schlepped into the kitchen to prepare her breakfast and my coffee.  In my head I'm forming my list for my Sunday Farmer's Market shopping purchases, farm fresh fertile eggs, leafy green vegetables, apples, maybe some peaches, and some mushrooms.  I decide to puree the pumpkin that I roasted yesterday so that I can make some soup today and some other "pumpkiney" things.  As I'm perusing the shelves and door of my refrigerator I realize that I have a box of creamy tomato bisque soup that I have had twice and need to "re-purpose".  Since I'm still having my Autumn affair with pumpkins; I decided this would be a nice combination, after several taste tests and an addition here and an addition there, here is the finished product and this was my breakfast!!  As I'm licking the last drop from my spoon, I check the clock on the stove and wonder how time got away from me?!  I dash into the living room to put my lap top to "sleep" so I can shower and get to the market before noon and the time on the lap top is earlier than the time on the stove in the kitchen, (do you know where I'm going with this?)  ah, yes daylight savings time, we gained an hour overnight, just like magic, and Bella forgot to set the clocks back!!!  So I take a deep breath, exhale, and post the recipe before heading to the market.

1      tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2   onion, finely chopped
2      tablespoons tomato paste
11/2  cups vegetable broth ( you could use chicken)
2      cups pumpkin puree
11/2   cups tomato cream bisque soup
1/2   cup applesauce, mashed (my homemade, see the recipe posted earlier)
1      tablespoon fresh lime-thyme
1      teaspoon ground roasted garlic
11/2  teaspoon salt
1/4   teaspoon celery salt
dash of: cayenne, paprika, and coriander

In a soup pot over medium heat, add vegetable oil, when oil is hot, add onion, saute until translucent, add the tomato paste and stir well,  add the broth and stir well, add the pumpkin, tomato soup, apple sauce, and your seasonings, stir, cover, and simmer until all the flavors are incorporated.  Adjust the seasonings to your taste. You can puree the soup in the food processor if you would like a creamer soup.  Enjoy   : )  -MK







  

No comments:

Post a Comment