Saturday, October 20, 2012

Chocolate Coconut Cookies

These cookies are so simple and delicious, they are almost too good to be true.  My new blogger friend, "Texas" shared that she loves "Mint Patties" and I thought that adding mint extract to this recipe might be a nice touch, I haven't tried it yet, but if it appeals to you....give it a try and share your experience with the rest of us.  I have many friends who say to me, "When you bake, you have to be so exact with ingredients, it's not like cooking".  I totally disagree.  I think you can be creative with baking just like you can with cooking and this recipe is a prime example.  This recipe originally called for honey and as you all know, on Phase III no honey is allowed, I personally do not like to use Truvia or Stevia or any of that "stuff" so dates are my "go to" sugar source.  However, I encourage you to keep in mind that moderation is key.  : )  You can purchase date syrup, however I did not have any, and most of the time, I'm into "instant gratification" (and sometimes that just isn't quick enough)!!  ; )  So, I made my own:  I pitted and cut up about 5 Medjool dates, put them in a microwave safe bowl, covered them in water and cooked them for about 2 minutes, pressed them through a sieve and produced a syrup.  I also added some of the softened dates to the juice for more thickness and sweetness.

2      cups finely shredded coconut
1/2   cup good quality cocoa powder
1/2   cup date syrup
2      eggs
2      teaspoons vanilla

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, mix well.   With moistened hands; using coconut oil or butter; flatten out like you use to make "mud pies" when you were a child and drop onto a parchment lined baking sheet.  Flatten cookie with the back on a greased spoon.  Bake 15 to 18 minutes, or until bottoms are brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment