Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Homemade Applesauce~nothing but apples and spice, Baby!

I make homemade applesauce almost every week that apples are in season, and I freeze some so that I have it year round.  I would like to have an exact recipe for those of you that "need" to have precise recipes to follow, however, I do not have a precise recipe.  I encourage you to accept that you cannot in any way mess this up, please trust me on this!!!!  I use a variety of apples sometimes I mix the varieties, sometimes I use the variety that is most prevalent at the Farmer's market that week.  I do like to throw in some Granny Smith because I like to have some tart apples mixed in with the sweeter apples, like gala and pink ladies.  Some weeks; depending on time and energy I make large or small batches, so the number of apples I use may vary.  I like to peel my apples, however, you do not have to do so.  I use different spices; depending on my mood, you can use many or none depending on your taste.  As you can image; your options are endless!

6 to 20    apples; peeled, cored, sliced, and cut in inch sized pieces
1 to 2      teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 to 1   teaspoon ginger
Can also add:  or add instead:
1/2 to 1   teaspoon cloves
1/2 to 1   teaspoon allspice

Place apples in stock pot and cook over medium heat until the apples begin to sizzle, reduce to low and simmer until apples become soft, stirring occasionally.  Add spices and simmer another 10 to 20 minutes.  Using a potato masher gently mash apples, leaving some chunks and remove from heat.

A local "u-tuber" showed that she freezes her applesauce and uses a fork to "scrape" some of the applesauce off to sweeten her yogurt as a desert topping.  I mix my applesauce with my yogurt in the morning as part of my breakfast.  The applesauce will keep for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator (if it will last that long!).  I use the applesauce in baking, as many recipes call for applesauce in place of sweetener and oil.  I serve it as a desert when I don't have anything baked (which is rare, but it does happen).  Applesauce is a versatile staple to have.  I hope you enjoy this simple recipe.    : )   -MK 

No comments:

Post a Comment